Fire Department

Yellow Creek Fire Department

Daniel Morton, Fire Chief

Kelvin Dutka, Deputy Fire Chief

The fire department operating out of the former Village of Yellow Creek is on a volunteer basis.  The department also includes volunteer First Responders and has been able to maintain a minimum of 10 volunteers over the past 15+ years.  The volunteers are local to the area, and we are proud of our response times to all emergencies.

It is important to note that the Yellow Creek Fire Department is not an offensive fire department and cannot enter a burning building.  We are equipped to contain the fire from the outside, to prevent it from spreading, until it can be put out safely.  Larger fires, or fires involving human life, will be assisted by neighboring Fire Departments, such as the Town of Kinistino, RM/Town of Birch Hills, or RM of Hoodoo.

  BE SURE YOU ARE COVERED!  Because the Yellow Creek Fire department is volunteer based, be sure you talk to your insurance provider to ensure you have coverage for this type of fire department.  Also be sure your coverage is high enough to reflect the rates of not just the Yellow Creek Fire Department (below) but those of the other Fire Departments.

    Town of Kinistino (306) 864-2461

        RM of Birch Hills (306) 749-2233

        RM of Hoodoo  (306) 256-3281


Minimum call-out     $1,000

Pumper Truck           $350.00 per hour

Rescue Truck             $250.00 per hour

Water Truck               $250.00 per hour

Firefighter                  $35.00 per hour per firefighter

Municipal equipment such as Graders are charged at the current Custom Work rates.

Fire Agreements

The RM is in agreement with other municipalities to ensure adequate firefighting coverage to all residents and landowners.

Town of Kinistino provides firefighting coverage to all of Division 5, including Barney's Bay Resort and Struthers Lake Regional Park.

RM/Town of Birch Hills provides firefighting coverage to most of Division 6.

RM of Hoodoo will assist only as called, for the whole RM.

The Yellow Creek Fire Department provides additional firefighting coverage to a portion of RM of Three Lakes.


In the event of an emergency, dial 9-1-1 and the operators will dispatch the appropriate emergency services.

Controlled Burns  1-866-404-4911

Sometimes you will need to burn grass, bush piles or stubble. 

Please be sure you are well-prepared and that you have fire guards in place. 

These "controlled burns" should also be reported to avoid dispatching firefighters unnecessarily. 

1.  Prior to starting a controlled burn, call 1-866-404-4911 (this number is answered 24/7 & 365 days/year).  You'll be asked to provide the following information:

  • What is your land location?
  • What is your RM number?  RM 430
  • Who is your Fire Service Provider?  Yellow Creek, Kinistino, Birch Hills (see above Fire Agreements as depending on which area you are in, different fire departments will respond)
  • What are the location details?
  • What are you burning?
  • How long will your burn last?
  • Your name and phone number.

2.  Call 1-866-404-4911 to notify them once the burn is complete.

3.  PLEASE NOTE:  If you do not call in your burn and our Fire Department is dispatched by 911 you will be billed the minimum call-out fee above.

Burning Old Buildings

Wooden structures such as old houses, barns, sheds, etc can be burned in accordance with the Ministry of Environment to minimize the environmental impact of the burn.

The Clean Air Regulations prohibits the open burning of certain products that may be contained in building materials.  Prohibited materials must be removed prior to burning.

Please read the references below from the Ministry prior to any burn to ensure compliance with all environmental regulations.

NOTE: the RM does not issue burn permits at this time.

Fire Bans

From time to time, at the direction of the Fire Chief and Deputy Fire Chief, the Council will issue a fire ban prohibiting all open fires.  If you are planning a controlled burn, or any open fire, check the local notices page of our website or click the link below to go to Saskatchewan Fire Ban Map to make sure the RM isn't under a fire ban. (updated daily)

Interactive Saskatchewan Fire Ban Map

Fire Ban FAQs

Fire Ban Responsibility - Who Does What?

Learn more:

The Province has the authority to ban fires in:

  • provincial forest;
  • park land (e.g. Regional Park);
  • vacant Crown land;
  • every quarter section of land within 4.5 km of the boundaries of a provincial forest; and
  • the Province does have the authority to ban fires in an RM, but this is not done often but rather by the individual RM based on individual conditions.

The RM has the authority to ban fires in:

  • a portion or all land within the RM.